How do I apply for a variance (VAR) for my property?

To apply for a Variance (VAR) you can contact our office by telephone at 605-578-3871 or you can email the Planning and Zoning department for the appropriate forms. You can also have these forms mailed of faxed to you, for more information please contact the Planning and Zoning department.

The forms must be completed in detail so that all of the legal requirements are met to schedule the variance hearings. 

Variances cost $250. 

Variances can not automatically be granted. Each applicant must be able to substantiate that their property is unique or different and that there would be a practical hardship which is not self-imposed if the variance is not granted.

Show All Answers

1. How do I apply for a variance (VAR) for my property?
2. How do I apply for a change of zoning (COZ)?
3. How do I apply for a Conditional Use Permit (CUP)?
4. How do I apply for a planned unit development (PUD)?
5. How do I apply for a temporary use permit (TUP)?
6. Where do I get the information I need about adjoining property owners that must be notified of my request for a variance, change of zoning, conditional use permit, or a planned unit development?
7. Where do I get permits for utilities improvements or approaches?