I want to operate a business from my home, what permits do I need?

First, you should consult with the Health Department and / or other agencies, depending on the type and size operation you intend. If you want to operate a simple office from the home as many individuals do these days, no permit is required and to do so is permitted in any residence so long as there is no outside appearance of an office or business operating there and no additional traffic is generated. 

Home occupations are only allowed in the Zoning Districts which lists Home Occupation. Planning and Zoning may require more detail on other types of business operations to determine if they are permitted in specific zoning categories so it is best to contact the office at 605-578-3871. Bear in mind that there are distinctly different residential and business zoning categories so there is legislative intent to keep the two uses separate.

Show All Answers

1. What are the fees for applications in the County?
2. What is my property zoned?
3. What are the zoning categories in Lawrence County?
4. Does Lawrence County regulate the zoning in municipalities?
5. What are the uses allowed on my property?
6. I don't see the use I want on my property listed, what should I do?
7. Where are mobile homes permitted?
8. What are setbacks?
9. What is a utility easement?
10. I want to operate a business from my home, what permits do I need?
11. I intend to start a new business, where do I find information on where I can locate it and what permits do I need?
12. What are the county sign regulations?
13. How do I subdivide my property?
14. What does it mean if my property is located within the FEMA floodplain?
15. What does it mean if I am in the 3-mile jurisdiction for the city of Spearfish?