There is now a motor vehicle self-service kiosk located inside the Spearfish Rec & Aquatics Center at 122 Recreation Lane in Spearfish. It is available during business hours only.

Motor Vehicle Kiosk


Any person with an out of state driver's license must provide physical proof of social security number in order to transfer a title or purchase a temporary permit. This must be provided for EVERY transfer or permit. Examples would be social security card, pay stub, W2, 1099, or other official document that has the full social security number - no numbers can be crossed off. The state will only accept a 1040 if it is stamped by the IRS. If you are unsure that you have the correct documentation, please call our office to verify.


As of July 12, 2021, we can no longer accept payment in the form of check from any person with a PMB and no physical address in South Dakota. Payment must be made by cash, credit card, or money order. These individuals will also be required to complete a nomad form when titling any vehicle.


As of January 1, 2021, there is a federal mandate requiring mileage be recorded on titles for sales of all vehicles 20 years or newer. At the time of sale, the seller should print the current odometer reading in the odometer section of the title. No title can be processed without this mileage filled in on the back of the title.



Send payment with parcel numbers or payment stubs off of tax notices. If you’re unsure of your amounts due, call or email Treasurer’s office for correct amounts due. Payments can also be made through one of our online services but we can not waive their service charge.


Send renewal card or renewal letter with payment. If there are vehicles you are not renewing on the card, cross them off. If you do not have your renewal notice or are unsure of amounts due, call or email the Treasurer’s office for correct amounts due. Payments can also be made through one of our online services. If you have a South Dakota driver’s license or ID number, you can renew your plates through the state site at You can also use one of the self service kiosks in Rapid City, at the administrative building or at Rushmore Mall.


Required documentation for vehicle purchase:

  1. Completed and signed South Dakota Application for Title & Registration (there is a link for the form in the left hand column on this page - Form 1001)
  2. Original title, signed by buyer and seller both
  3. Bill of sale or purchase agreement
  4. Any other documentation dealer may send with your title including POA, dealer reassignment, odometer disclosure, lien release, etc. (Any leased vehicles will require a POA and copy of lease agreement.)
  5. Copy of driver’s license and proof of Social Security Number if your license is out of state
  6. Copy of South Dakota driver’s license if this is the first vehicle to be put in your name in South Dakota

Required documentation to transfer title for a vehicle already in your name from another state:

  1. Completed and signed South Dakota Application for Title & Registration (there is a link for the form in the left hand column on this page- Form 1001)
  2. Original title
  3. Any leased vehicle will require a POA and copy of lease agreement
  4. Copy of driver’s license and proof of Social Security Number if your license is out of state
  5. Copy of South Dakota driver’s license if this is the first vehicle to be put in your name in South Dakota
  6. Proof of tax paid in previous state. Any vehicles purchased privately within 6 months will need tax verification form 1007 with supporting document showing tax was paid. Any vehicles purchased from a dealer within 6 months will need tax verification form 1004 with supporting document showing tax was paid. Additional tax may be due depending on where the vehicle was previously titled. See "Titles & Licensing" page for specifics.

Things to include with documents:

  1. Contact phone number
  2. License plate number, if you have a valid plate to use from a vehicle you sold or traded in
  3. Number of wheels on vehicle/trailer/RV
  4. If purchase is an ATV and you wish to license it, include completed and signed "Low Speed and Off Road Vehicle Affidavit" (most recent affidavit no longer requires notarization)
  5. For trailer or RV that does not already have a South Dakota title, include printed weight ticket or other physical proof of the empty/shipping weight of the vehicle if it’s not on title
  6. If titling a trailer, include dimensions.

If you have additional paperwork, are missing paperwork, or if you’re unsure if you need to send something, call or email Treasurer’s office before mailing documentation. Nothing on the title can be crossed off or whited out, as the title is a legal document. If this has occurred, contact our office for further instructions.

Payments can be made with check or through our online service. As we cannot provide you with an exact amount due without first seeing your title work, if you send a check you will need to make it out to "Lawrence County Treasurer", sign it, and leave the amount blank. We will fill in the amount when we receive your paperwork. Otherwise you can pay with credit card through one of our online services. For a breakdown of fees that may be due, see our "Titles and Licensing" page. Mail all documentation and payments to Lawrence County Treasurer, PO Box 394, Deadwood, SD 57732.


South Dakota’s Application for Motor Vehicle/Boat Title must be included with all paperwork. (There is a link for the most current version of this form at the top of this page.) If your purchase is from a South Dakota dealer, this should already be included in your title work. The following needs to be filled out on the application:

  1. Section A: Mark whether this is a boat or motor vehicle transfer
  2. Section B: Include the following vehicle information - VIN/HIN, Year, Make, Model, Color, Odometer reading (if vehicle is 20 years old or newer). If this is for a boat, also include Length, Hull material, boat type, and propulsion type
  3. Section C: Include name of each person who will be on the new title, as well as address and "Identification #" (SD driver’s license or ID number or SSN), and type of ownership (or, and, trust, etc.)
  4. Section D: Title mailing address if different than owner’s address
  5. Section E: Contact name, email address, and phone number
  6. Section F: Skip this section (If purchase is from a dealer, they may fill this section out)
  7. Section G: If there is a lienholder, include their name and address
  8. Section H: Printed name and signature of owners

***If you have a question about filling out the application for title, please contact our office before you mail your paperwork.


The Treasurer’s Office is best known by the public for issuing motor vehicle licenses and collecting property taxes. The Treasurer is responsible for collecting all taxes (real estate, mobile home taxes, and special assessments) for the County, Cities, and School.

Titles & Licenses

The Treasurer’s Office titles and licenses all new and used motor vehicles, motorcycles, ATVs, trailers, snowmobiles and boats, releases and notarizes motor vehicle liens, and assists taxpayers in applying for duplicate motor vehicle title and permits.

Receiving & Managing

The Treasurer receives and accounts for all revenue collected by all County offices and is responsible for managing the County’s investments. In addition, the Treasurer is responsible for submitting monthly remittance payments to the State as required by law.

Application Assistance

In addition to collecting taxes and other forms of revenue, the Treasurer assists senior and disabled citizens file applications for property tax relief - applications are available January 2 at the Treasurer’s Office and must be returned to the Treasurer’s Office by March 31.

Distress Warrants

In conjunction with the State Departments of Revenue and Labor, the Treasurer issues distress warrants to the Sheriff’s Office in the event of non-payment of state sales taxes or unemployment insurance.

When you pay by check, you authorize us to use its information to process an electronic funds transfer (EFT). When we use information from your check to make an electronic fund transfer, funds may be withdrawn from you account as soon as the same day you make your payment.